#Official Defence Thread

All other development discussion.
Message
Author
User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 4865
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 558 times
Been thanked: 770 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#256 Post by Norman » Wed May 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Maybe a pesky journalist asked one of those pointed questions (like they all do these days) such as "can you guarantee that 100% of the workers will be ocker Aussie blokes with an Australian citizenship?", followed by questions that are similar but worded differently.

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2889
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#257 Post by rev » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Professional services firm PwC estimates naval shipbuilding will reap $134.4 billion for South Australia

EXCLUSIVE, Chief Reporter, The Advertiser
October 11, 2017 6:05am

Subscriber only

ADELAIDE’S naval shipbuilding program will trigger a $134.4 billion economic bonanza for the state, including 8000 jobs.
In an independent assessment of the $89 billion submarine, frigate and offshore patrol vessel construction projects, to be released today, professional services firm PwC estimates they will create 8000 jobs in South Australia, more than tripling the current workforce.
Of these, 3500 will be in shipbuilding and 4550 in industries directly related to shipbuilding.
The increase in gross state product of $134.4 billion during the construction program, scheduled to start next year and last until the early 2050s, is equivalent to an average $6300 per household each year.
Defence Industry Minister Christopher Pyne said the report was great news for current and future workers, while PwC economics and policy partner Jeremy Thorpe said the substantial economic benefits would have important community flow-on effects.
“South Australia will be entrenched as Australia’s key naval construction centre and the shipbuilding program alone will triple the South Australian (naval construction) workforce and boost GSP (gross state product) by upwards of $134.4 billion over 40 years,” Mr Thorpe said.
“An uplift of this size is the equivalent of adding a total new mining industry to the SA economy, year-on-year over the life of the program.
“It is rare that a state sees such a long-term commitment that can be banked on. This avoids the traditional problems of a boom and bust cycle.”
French company DCNS (now Naval Group) last year won the $50 billion contract to build 12 submarines at Osborne’s Techport naval shipbuilding precinct. Nine frigates will also be built at Osborne in a $35 billion project from 2020, as well as the first two of 12 offshore patrol vessels from next year before the project transfers to Western Australia.
Submarine construction will start in 2022-23 and the last boat is likely to enter service in the early 2050s. For much of this time, the frigates project will also be running.
The PwC report’s figures are based on the Federal Government’s expectation of SA attracting at least 60 per cent of the spending for the $89 billion shipbuilding program.
Mr Pyne highlighted the report’s finding that for every $10 million in expenditure in SA directly related to shipbuilding, there would be a total of $24 million in additional GSP.
“Not only will there be thousands of new jobs as a result of the Government’s $90 billion naval shipbuilding endeavour, but South Australia will be hallmarked as Australia’s key naval construction centre,” Mr Pyne said.
In commentary likely to trigger criticism by Labor and crossbench Senator Nick Xenophon, the PwC report says the Federal Government “rightly makes the point” that setting a minimum local work target “is a mistake as Australian industry should be incentivised to make the most of this unique opportunity”.
State Government agency Defence SA warned in April that SA was set for only a tiny slice of the $89 billion naval shipbuilding program, saying there was a “false perception that all of the economic benefits will be delivered to SA”.
Premier Jay Weatherill then said the state wanted a commitment about jobs, citing a 90 per cent figure for Australian project work.
Also in April, Senator Xenophon condemned as alarming the failure of Naval Group’s Australian Industry Capability Plan for the submarine project to set a minimum level for Australian involvement.
But the PwC report says debating the absolute level of ­expenditure in SA is not productive. The priority should be to mobilise SA industry to capitalise by providing products or investing to grow capabilities to support shipbuilding, it says.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 156a2aef17

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2889
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#258 Post by rev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 am

Pyne claims the ship/sub building projects will attract 50,000 people to SA.
So what about the 5-6% of the working population that are currently unemployed, and the many times that who are under employed?

The sub maintenance work for the new subs could go to WA, it's worth at least $200 billion over the life of the subs.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#259 Post by Goodsy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 am
Pyne claims the ship/sub building projects will attract 50,000 people to SA.
So what about the 5-6% of the working population that are currently unemployed, and the many times that who are under employed?

The sub maintenance work for the new subs could go to WA, it's worth at least $200 billion over the life of the subs.
those 5-6% could be swallowed up by the extra services needed for those 50,000 people
formerly GoodSmackUp

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2889
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#260 Post by rev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 am
Pyne claims the ship/sub building projects will attract 50,000 people to SA.
So what about the 5-6% of the working population that are currently unemployed, and the many times that who are under employed?

The sub maintenance work for the new subs could go to WA, it's worth at least $200 billion over the life of the subs.
those 5-6% could be swallowed up by the extra services needed for those 50,000 people
Of course, but what I was getting at was governments particularly in recent times rather then fix the problems we have already, seem to think that shifting populations from state to state, or from overseas to here(Australia) will fix our economy and other associated problems.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#261 Post by Goodsy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:08 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 pm
GoodSmackUp wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 am
Pyne claims the ship/sub building projects will attract 50,000 people to SA.
So what about the 5-6% of the working population that are currently unemployed, and the many times that who are under employed?

The sub maintenance work for the new subs could go to WA, it's worth at least $200 billion over the life of the subs.
those 5-6% could be swallowed up by the extra services needed for those 50,000 people
Of course, but what I was getting at was governments particularly in recent times rather then fix the problems we have already, seem to think that shifting populations from state to state, or from overseas to here(Australia) will fix our economy and other associated problems.
Once manufacturing is gone that's all there is left, more people need more services so more jobs are created. Endless population growth is the only way forward in this sort of economy.
formerly GoodSmackUp

User avatar
Pistol
Legendary Member!
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#262 Post by Pistol » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 pm

I have worked on the AWD Program for the past seven years and have now shifted over to Future Submarines.

I am still surprised just how little the greater SA population realises that submarines along with frigates and a continuous ship building program will be a game changer for SA.
Techport was always designed to have a supplier base set up on site - why would they spend money and establish themselves for three ships.
However with all the work coming up, we will see companies establish in the SA market.
Obviously the PSI and CSI for all programs would be looking at Australian Industry Involvement - lets hope that a majority of those car component manufacturers can transfer to advanced component manufacture.

As far as future submarine sustainment is concerned, stating that it could go interstate is scaremongering as the sustainment concept would be in its extreme infancy. You gotta love the Tiser.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2889
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#263 Post by rev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 am

So has the Australian Maritime Technical College opened its doors yet?
It was supposed to open January 1st 2018 at a cost of $25 million of tax payers money, according to Christopher Pyne.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#264 Post by Spurdo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Construction appears to have started on the shipyard expansion project. Mersey Road North has been closed near the west entrance to the shipyard for the two sites to be combined.

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2889
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#265 Post by rev » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 am

Chinese company Landbridge at centre of Darwin Port security scare meets SA Minister Martin Hamilton-Smith in a play for SA’s Flinders Ports

A CHINESE corporation that sparked a global diplomatic incident expressed interest in securing a stake in SA’s Flinders Ports, which controls a crucial Port Adelaide site near where the $50 billion future submarines will be built.

The Advertiser can reveal retiring Trade and Investment Minister Martin Hamilton-Smith and SA Government bureaucrats met senior managers of the Chinese company, Landbridge, last Sep­tember, for a meeting that included representatives from the Chinese consulate-general.

Landbridge was at the ­centre of an international incident in 2015 when it acquired Darwin Port from the Northern Territory government.

The sale led the then US president Barack Obama to chide Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for permitting the deal and sparked a major Federal Government review into the oversight of critical infrastructure.

At the meeting in a restaurant in Adelaide’s Chinatown, Landbridge raised its strong interest in making an investment in Flinders Ports.

Landbridge’s billionaire owner and president Ye Cheng, a national committee member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, was also present, along with Darwin Port operators.

Flinders Ports has seven operations in SA, of which Port Adelaide’s inner harbour is its biggest.

The meeting has sparked a warning from one of the country’s top security experts that the State Government could compromise SA’s future bids for defence construction contracts by adopting a naive attitude about the operation and ambition of Chinese-backed companies.

Both the State Government and Flinders Ports say no formal “proposal” for an investment in the company has been made, but remain tight-lipped about details of the meeting.

Australian Strategic Policy Institute executive director Peter Jennings, formerly a senior defence department official and prime ministerial adviser, said the Port Adelaide site was one of Australia’s most sensitive and of “extremely high interest to Chinese intelligence”.

Mr Jennings said the Darwin Port sale to Landbridge was a “stuff-up of Keystone Kops proportions” that should have put other governments on red alert. Any Chinese attempt to take an interest in SA infrastructure would attract close Federal Government scrutiny, he said.

“With regard to the submarine construction (nearby), we really are talking about the jewel in the crown of sensitive technology,” Mr Jennings said.

“The port would also be of extremely high interest to Chinese intelligence, because they are actively out there looking for any advantage they can have in terms of intellectual property theft, to get it for themselves.

“If you have got something that is within visual range, that also means it is an area from which you can have a wide array of electronic eavesdropping technology used to gather data from the Osborne construction site. That would automatically put up a major red flag.”

In 2015, Mr Hamilton-Smith and Premier Jay Weatherill publicly declared their intention to work more closely with Chinese Communist Party officials in SA’s sister state of Shandong.

In what they heralded as a “landmark agreement” between SA and Shandong’s Communist Party Secretary Jiang Yikang, the pair signed a “Friendly Co-operation Action Plan”.

Mr Weatherill said that “Shandong is our window into China and equally we are encouraging Shandong to see SA as their window into Australia”. Mr Hamilton-Smith said “the Shandong Landbridge Group will be investigating opportunities in port infrastructure and wine”.

In 2013, Mr Ye was reportedly cited by the Shandong Communist Party committee as one of 10 outstanding individuals in the province concerned with national defence construction.

Landbridge recently acquired the Rymill Coonawarra winery for $13.2 million. The deal came under scrutiny from SA Ombudsman Wayne Lines, who cleared Mt Gambier Mayor Andrew Lee but said he “walked a very fine ethical line” in helping broker the deal.

That inquiry received evidence that Mr Lee met Landbridge’s Mr Ye in China in 2015 and was told of his plans to “build high-class accommodation and also a port” in SA.

He also visited Adelaide in 2015 to scope investments, before the NT deal went public.

Mr Jennings said SA could lose defence contracts if seen to be compromised by China.

“For any large-scale Chinese company to prosper, it needs the closest possible relations with the Communist Party at both provincial and national levels and, of course, Landbridge does,” he said.

“The SA Government should think about this very carefully from the point of view of how they want to position the state as a leading defence manufacturer in the country.”
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... e903653f6e

Hopefully the federal government has the good sense to block it this time like they should have blocked the Chicoms in Darwin.
Otherwise I can see them playing the national security card and not building the subs or even future frigates here. Then say goodnight to the SA defence industry.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest