Geelong Victoria Developments

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Post Reply
TheCrown1
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by TheCrown1 »

Geelong is destined to be the largest regional city in Australia. Geelong has about 10 buildings in pipeline that are 10 storeys or more.
Apparently a 155m tower is in discussions as part of a major waterfront redevelopment. I doubt Geelong will see that, but I believe a 130 meter
will grace Geelong eventually.

Took a Sunday drive out of Melbourne and snapped these photos;

Left to right; Work Safe HQ 17 storey's (including plant levels), Mirimar 22 storey's topped out, Mercer St 15 or 16 storey's about to be topped out this month.
Attachments
71848922_509590212967902_3536253755429224448_n.jpg
71380221_2425122141066306_9089368009247555584_n.jpg
TheCrown1
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by TheCrown1 »

The new GMHBA HQ on Moorabol St, construction will commence this month. The building is 8 levels, around 40- 45m tall. This will be the 4th high-rise
to be built in the main town centre. I am particularly excited for this development as it will offer significant densification.
Attachments
60-Moorabool-News-3.jpg
Last edited by TheCrown1 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheCrown1
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by TheCrown1 »

The new Civic precinct on Mercer St, due to start construction this year (however Geelong Council is in a questionable state at the moment)
My office has done some work on this, pushing for more focus on the public realm. Geelong lacks 'Melbourne' type public spaces, which
really isn't helping the city in my opinion.
Attachments
8d74da5e2728f4c-4.%20191010%20-%20Mercer%20St%20-%20SE.jpg
8d74da58a1b9f3a-3.-191009-Aerial-Render.jpg
Last edited by TheCrown1 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by Ho Really »

Nice. Good looking Geelong.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.
TheCrown1
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by TheCrown1 »

Currently under construction in Geelong on Bellarine Street. Mixed-use apartment
& hotel development which makes effort in preserving the Carlton hotel.
- 10 levels
- 42.4m tall
Attachments
GEELONG-RITZ-3.jpg
TheCrown1
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by TheCrown1 »

As shown in the image is the 5 stages of the CBD West residential developments. Two of the high-rises seen here have been built.
The tallest of the development is 30 storeys and approximately 140m in height, which I'm assuming will give Geelong the tallest skyline
outside of the major cities.
Attachments
Geelong West.jpg
TheCrown1
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by TheCrown1 »

The new GMHBA building on Moorabool St. This building isn't the largest of recent developments in Geelong, but it has a made a huge difference to the low-rise character of the CBD.
Attachments
cnd g.jpg
IMG_5143.JPG
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4848
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by rev »

TheCrown1 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:50 pm
As shown in the image is the 5 stages of the CBD West residential developments. Two of the high-rises seen here have been built.
The tallest of the development is 30 storeys and approximately 140m in height, which I'm assuming will give Geelong the tallest skyline
outside of the major cities.
I think Gold Coast has that title firmly in it's grasp for the foreseeable future.

There's also plans for a 45,000 resident housing development worth $11 billion.
What's Geelong got going on, that our regional cities don't?
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by Goodsy »

rev wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 pm
TheCrown1 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:50 pm
As shown in the image is the 5 stages of the CBD West residential developments. Two of the high-rises seen here have been built.
The tallest of the development is 30 storeys and approximately 140m in height, which I'm assuming will give Geelong the tallest skyline
outside of the major cities.
I think Gold Coast has that title firmly in it's grasp for the foreseeable future.

There's also plans for a 45,000 resident housing development worth $11 billion.
What's Geelong got going on, that our regional cities don't?
A deep water port, good rail connections and not too far from Melbourne..

according to google maps a train trip from Geelong to Melbourne is faster than Adelaide to Gawler
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4848
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by rev »

Goodsy wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:02 pm
rev wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 pm
TheCrown1 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:50 pm
As shown in the image is the 5 stages of the CBD West residential developments. Two of the high-rises seen here have been built.
The tallest of the development is 30 storeys and approximately 140m in height, which I'm assuming will give Geelong the tallest skyline
outside of the major cities.
I think Gold Coast has that title firmly in it's grasp for the foreseeable future.

There's also plans for a 45,000 resident housing development worth $11 billion.
What's Geelong got going on, that our regional cities don't?
A deep water port, good rail connections and not too far from Melbourne..

according to google maps a train trip from Geelong to Melbourne is faster than Adelaide to Gawler
Melbourne - Geelong 75km - passenger rail link - freeway link
Adelaide - Victor Harbor 84km - no passenger rail link - no freeway link
User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by Norman »

Goodsy wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:02 pm
rev wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 pm
TheCrown1 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:50 pm
As shown in the image is the 5 stages of the CBD West residential developments. Two of the high-rises seen here have been built.
The tallest of the development is 30 storeys and approximately 140m in height, which I'm assuming will give Geelong the tallest skyline
outside of the major cities.
I think Gold Coast has that title firmly in it's grasp for the foreseeable future.

There's also plans for a 45,000 resident housing development worth $11 billion.
What's Geelong got going on, that our regional cities don't?
A deep water port, good rail connections and not too far from Melbourne..

according to google maps a train trip from Geelong to Melbourne is faster than Adelaide to Gawler
Not really.

From memory, an express service between Adelaide and Gawler took about 45 minutes, while the express between Southern Cross and Geelong takes about 53 minutes.

An all-stop serice between Adelaide and Gawler is about 55 minutes, while Melbourne to Geelong all stops takes 1 hour and 8 minutes.

You might be looking at the Gawler substitute bus timetable?
rev wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Melbourne - Geelong 75km - passenger rail link - freeway link
Adelaide - Victor Harbor 84km - no passenger rail link - no freeway link
That's a bit of an unfair comparison.

Firstly, the topography is completely different. There is a reason why the original trains to Victor Harbor went via Mount Barker.

Second, Geelong is an industrial city with a population of 225,000 people. Victor Harbor is a residential town with a population of 15,000 people.

If Geelong should be compared to anything, it should be Port Pirie, Newcastle or Woolongong.
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4848
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by rev »

Gawler is part of the metro area, Victor is not.

Its a similar distance away as Geelong is to Melbourne.
Out of the metro, but not too far to be an inconvenience if the right infrastructure is built.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by Goodsy »

Norman wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:43 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:02 pm
rev wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 pm


I think Gold Coast has that title firmly in it's grasp for the foreseeable future.

There's also plans for a 45,000 resident housing development worth $11 billion.
What's Geelong got going on, that our regional cities don't?
A deep water port, good rail connections and not too far from Melbourne..

according to google maps a train trip from Geelong to Melbourne is faster than Adelaide to Gawler
Not really.

From memory, an express service between Adelaide and Gawler took about 45 minutes, while the express between Southern Cross and Geelong takes about 53 minutes.

An all-stop serice between Adelaide and Gawler is about 55 minutes, while Melbourne to Geelong all stops takes 1 hour and 8 minutes.

You might be looking at the Gawler substitute bus timetable?
rev wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Melbourne - Geelong 75km - passenger rail link - freeway link
Adelaide - Victor Harbor 84km - no passenger rail link - no freeway link
That's a bit of an unfair comparison.

Firstly, the topography is completely different. There is a reason why the original trains to Victor Harbor went via Mount Barker.

Second, Geelong is an industrial city with a population of 225,000 people. Victor Harbor is a residential town with a population of 15,000 people.

If Geelong should be compared to anything, it should be Port Pirie, Newcastle or Woolongong.
Must have been the substitute bus service, but even still your comparisons are pretty sad. Express to Gawler should be under 30mins.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

Re: Geelong Victoria Developments

Post by SBD »

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:30 pm
Norman wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:43 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:02 pm


A deep water port, good rail connections and not too far from Melbourne..

according to google maps a train trip from Geelong to Melbourne is faster than Adelaide to Gawler
Not really.

From memory, an express service between Adelaide and Gawler took about 45 minutes, while the express between Southern Cross and Geelong takes about 53 minutes.

An all-stop serice between Adelaide and Gawler is about 55 minutes, while Melbourne to Geelong all stops takes 1 hour and 8 minutes.

You might be looking at the Gawler substitute bus timetable?
rev wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Melbourne - Geelong 75km - passenger rail link - freeway link
Adelaide - Victor Harbor 84km - no passenger rail link - no freeway link
That's a bit of an unfair comparison.

Firstly, the topography is completely different. There is a reason why the original trains to Victor Harbor went via Mount Barker.

Second, Geelong is an industrial city with a population of 225,000 people. Victor Harbor is a residential town with a population of 15,000 people.

If Geelong should be compared to anything, it should be Port Pirie, Newcastle or Woolongong.
Must have been the substitute bus service, but even still your comparisons are pretty sad. Express to Gawler should be under 30mins.
This might be going to move over to the rail thread...

How do express trains overtake all stops trains between Geelong and Melbourne? Do they have a separate pair of tracks all the way, in a corridor twice as wide, or do they work the timetable carefully enough that the express overtakes in passing loops while the all-stops train stops at a station?

How many stations on the line have enough space for this expansion? Smithfield, Salisbury and Dry Creek? As sexy as it might be to have fast trains to the outer suburbs, they would contribute to the urban sprawl many people want to avoid. A fast non-stop train from Adelaide to Gawler would effectively make it quicker to commute from Gawler to Adelaide than from Elizabeth or Salisbury. All-stops trains would encourage people to choose to live and work only a few stops apart instead of always at the ends of the line.

Back to the Geelong comparison, we need government policies that encourage people to live and work in cities other than Adelaide, then provide intercity transport for occasional trips, not for commuters. There is no decent port (nor a site to build one) between Adelaide and Portland, so perhaps we need to work out how to encourage development at Wallaroo, Port Pirie, Port Augusta, Whyalla, Port Lincoln or Ceduna. They all get bulk handling ships, but I don't know how constrained the ports really are. None presently have container or roll-on roll-off facilities.
Post Reply