2018 South Australian State Election

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Who will receive your first preference vote in the 2018 State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 am

Labor
36
73%
Liberal
5
10%
SA Best
2
4%
Greens
1
2%
Nationals
0
No votes
Conservatives
2
4%
Dignity
2
4%
One Nation
0
No votes
Independent
0
No votes
Other
1
2%
 
Total votes: 49

Message
Author
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3459
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#136 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:21 am


Llessur2002 wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 am
I dont think their plans are bold in what you are looking for.

But ill be honest im looking for good governance.
But if you think the State is going backwards then do you think that overall good governance and minor economic tinkering is good enough to turn it around and put it on a significant upward trajectory?

I'll take the big ideas about high-tech industries and working to attract young people by competing with some of the best cities in the world through lifestyle, vibrancy, public transport etc over a 'let's tighten the purse strings and not rock the boat' approach.
I dont think anyone is tightening the purse strings.

I would also add its slightly ironic that you keep banging on about emerging and hi tech industies (which are great mind you) when we have the worst NAPLAN scores in mainland Austrlaia and Labor have just sent TAFE off a cliff.

Who is going to fill these roles of our kids cant even get a good education or training?

Good governance will be a big driver of economic growth across the board rather than specific government led initiatives at the expense of others.

Also I dont think there is a silver bullet, but there is a dire need to change and reform. Something both opposition parties are offering.




User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 434 times
Been thanked: 667 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#137 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 pm


Waewick wrote: I dont think anyone is tightening the purse strings.

I would also add its slightly ironic that you keep banging on about emerging and hi tech industies (which are great mind you) when we have the worst NAPLAN scores in mainland Austrlaia and Labor have just sent TAFE off a cliff.

Who is going to fill these roles of our kids cant even get a good education or training?

Good governance will be a big driver of economic growth across the board rather than specific government led initiatives at the expense of others.

Also I dont think there is a silver bullet, but there is a dire need to change and reform. Something both opposition parties are offering.
Failing to produce an infrastructure plan even a tenth as comprehensive as Labor's feels like tightening the purse strings. Capping council rates feels like tightening the purse strings.

Whilst the Libs and SA Best may be offering change - it feels to me like a backward change. Take the city and the state back to the good old days...

Either way I doubt we'll agree on this so we'll just have to wait and see what happens later this month and during the subsequent three years.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1074
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 332 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#138 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:20 pm

I noticed one of the Labor election posters this morning that had words something like "keeping on building South Australia". I'm trying to remember what has Labor built in SA outside of the Adelaide metro area in the last 16 years?
  • Port Augusta bridge (identified deficient by 2007) upgrade - finally promised to duplicate it in November 2017 with no timeframe
  • Yorkey Crossing - still unsealed, but some upgrades announced last year
  • 2nd carriageway of Southern Expressway - Labor, but not really outside metro Adelaide
  • Deep water Spencer Gulf port - still being promised
  • Northern Expressway - Labor, but not really outside metro Adelaide
  • Northern Connector - Labor, but not really outside metro Adelaide
  • 2nd Mount Barker interchange
  • Increased the capacity at Mount Gambier prison
  • Incremental improvements to Sturt, Mallee, Dukes and Horrocks Highways to compensate for withdrawal of rural railways
I hope I have missed some major non-Adelaide infrastructure builds, but I'm struggling to remember them - any hints?

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3459
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#139 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:02 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Waewick wrote: I dont think anyone is tightening the purse strings.

I would also add its slightly ironic that you keep banging on about emerging and hi tech industies (which are great mind you) when we have the worst NAPLAN scores in mainland Austrlaia and Labor have just sent TAFE off a cliff.

Who is going to fill these roles of our kids cant even get a good education or training?

Good governance will be a big driver of economic growth across the board rather than specific government led initiatives at the expense of others.

Also I dont think there is a silver bullet, but there is a dire need to change and reform. Something both opposition parties are offering.
Failing to produce an infrastructure plan even a tenth as comprehensive as Labor's feels like tightening the purse strings. Capping council rates feels like tightening the purse strings.

Whilst the Libs and SA Best may be offering change - it feels to me like a backward change. Take the city and the state back to the good old days...

Either way I doubt we'll agree on this so we'll just have to wait and see what happens later this month and during the subsequent three years.
You are right we wont.

But in terms of policies, you have to remember Labor have an entire department in Government to do theres under the guise of state planning.

The Libs have salary sacrifice from their pollies and donations from the public to do theirs.

Whilst i am not going to suggest 2036 plan by Marshall is extremely detailed its not a bad effort for an opposition party.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 1367 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#140 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:04 pm

-McLaren Vale Overpass
-Victor Harbour Ring Road (unless that was the council)
-Dukes Highway widening
-Penola Bypass

But, it's true, they need to do more

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 569
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#141 Post by bits » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:01 pm

Duplicated sturt highway between Gawler and Nuriootpa.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3459
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#142 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:49 pm

If you ever wanted to see the cost of poor governance, Oakden is an example.

How Jay can live with himself and not resign in shame is beyond the average punter.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#143 Post by Jaymz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Waewick wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:49 pm
If you ever wanted to see the cost of poor governance, Oakden is an example.

How Jay can live with himself and not resign in shame is beyond the average punter.
It definitely fails the pub test in a big way.

User avatar
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#144 Post by Splashmo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 pm

The Labor Government has done a lot to make Adelaide more dynamic and exciting - but the Oakden scandal is a complete loss of moral authority.

Of course, who knows which party SA Best and the independents will back to form government...

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#145 Post by Jaymz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:57 pm

If they keep building (mixed use/residential/hotel/) tall buildings.... they will come 😂

When did a large company last anchor a major tower in Adelaide?

....... for corporate office space??

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#146 Post by Spurdo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:14 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:57 pm
If they keep building (mixed use/residential/hotel/) tall buildings.... they will come 😂

When did a large company last anchor a major tower in Adelaide?

....... for corporate office space??
Exactly, this is the sad truth. There are numerous large companies with major operations/holdings in South Australia (e.g. Treasury Wine Estates, APA Group, Liberty Onesteel .etc) that are headquartered interstate that could be headquartered in SA but choose not to. Admittedly, some large companies have moved here (Strike Energy, OZ Minerals) but when you look deeper, you will see that these companies received money from Investment Attraction SA to relocate here.

I don't like being pessimistic, but something needs to be done to make adelaide more attractive for business, not just those getting government handouts.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#147 Post by Jaymz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 pm

...... and not forgetting Beach Energy, supposedly a serious player in the energy game these days after a BILLION dollar merger recently. Based in S.A but just received a multi million dollar package just to hang in here in South OZ.

I can go on and on....

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#148 Post by Jaymz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 pm

....oh and I'm just getting warmed up. Wait 'til I really start to get amongst it.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 1367 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#149 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 pm

With so many big companies merging, more automation and consolidation, I'm not surprised that Adelaide has a lot of vacant office space. The same has happened in Perth, I'm not sure about Brisbane though.

I guess the last major anchor tenant might be Adelaide Bendigo Bank?

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#150 Post by Jaymz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 pm
With so many big companies merging, more automation and consolidation, I'm not surprised that Adelaide has a lot of vacant office space. The same has happened in Perth, I'm not sure about Brisbane though.

I guess the last major anchor tenant might be Adelaide Bendigo Bank?
Yep. But Perth still has BHP, Woodside and Rio Tinto anchoring major towers there.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests