News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2767
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 735 times
Been thanked: 366 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#976 Post by SRW » Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 pm
With the recent stepping down of UoA Vice Chancellor and such, there was mention in the media that the university were seriously exploring a northern suburbs campus, and were having these discussions with City of Playford, most likely to position themselves in competition with UNISA at Mawson Lakes, however with Tafe at Port Adelaide touted for closure, I can't see why UoA wouldn't consider the Port? It's an emerging hub both for residential and possibly business, there would already be a campus-worth of facilities that the university could tap into and from the government's position, it would help strengthen the area in terms of day-time foot-traffic, might also create a student culture down there to help sustain some of the bars. I seem to recall back when Newport Keys was on the table that a university campus was part of that proposal, but I believe the idea there was to entice interstate/overseas institutions to set it up.
I've always thought it was a massive missed opportunity that UniSA expanded at Mawson Lakes rather than in the Port. I think it's important to avoid duplication or dilution of campus life, but if there's still some opportunity for higher ed to set up here, then it ought to be pursued. Perhaps certain defence & engineering degrees can be taught there. UoA should probably be doing something more substantial with its Roseworthy campus also.
Keep Adelaide Weird

noted
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#977 Post by noted » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 am

Very good point. Notre Dame was instrumental in revitalising Fremantle during the 90s.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1314
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 297 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#978 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am

By the same token it's unlikely Mawson Lakes would be as successful as it is without UniSA there, and given the MFP proposals it made sense to have a uni campus there that does a lot of engineering and IT stuff.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#979 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am
By the same token it's unlikely Mawson Lakes would be as successful as it is without UniSA there, and given the MFP proposals it made sense to have a uni campus there that does a lot of engineering and IT stuff.
The Levels Campus (now called Mawson Lakes) of the South Australian Institute of Technology (which merged with CAEs to become UniSA) predates the MFP by 20 years.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1314
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 297 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#980 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am
By the same token it's unlikely Mawson Lakes would be as successful as it is without UniSA there, and given the MFP proposals it made sense to have a uni campus there that does a lot of engineering and IT stuff.
The Levels Campus (now called Mawson Lakes) of the South Australian Institute of Technology (which merged with CAEs to become UniSA) predates the MFP by 20 years.
Yeah, but I'm sure the Mawson Lakes developments influenced how much that campus was chosen to grow.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#981 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am
By the same token it's unlikely Mawson Lakes would be as successful as it is without UniSA there, and given the MFP proposals it made sense to have a uni campus there that does a lot of engineering and IT stuff.
The Levels Campus (now called Mawson Lakes) of the South Australian Institute of Technology (which merged with CAEs to become UniSA) predates the MFP by 20 years.
Yeah, but I'm sure the Mawson Lakes developments influenced how much that campus was chosen to grow.
Quite possibly they did, and the presence of the University has probably influenced the development of Mawson Lakes - both the social hub and the high-tech employment precinct.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests