News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#976 Post by SRW » Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 pm
With the recent stepping down of UoA Vice Chancellor and such, there was mention in the media that the university were seriously exploring a northern suburbs campus, and were having these discussions with City of Playford, most likely to position themselves in competition with UNISA at Mawson Lakes, however with Tafe at Port Adelaide touted for closure, I can't see why UoA wouldn't consider the Port? It's an emerging hub both for residential and possibly business, there would already be a campus-worth of facilities that the university could tap into and from the government's position, it would help strengthen the area in terms of day-time foot-traffic, might also create a student culture down there to help sustain some of the bars. I seem to recall back when Newport Keys was on the table that a university campus was part of that proposal, but I believe the idea there was to entice interstate/overseas institutions to set it up.
I've always thought it was a massive missed opportunity that UniSA expanded at Mawson Lakes rather than in the Port. I think it's important to avoid duplication or dilution of campus life, but if there's still some opportunity for higher ed to set up here, then it ought to be pursued. Perhaps certain defence & engineering degrees can be taught there. UoA should probably be doing something more substantial with its Roseworthy campus also.
Keep Adelaide Weird

noted
High Rise Poster!

#977 Post by noted » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 am

Very good point. Notre Dame was instrumental in revitalising Fremantle during the 90s.

Nort
Legendary Member!

#978 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am

By the same token it's unlikely Mawson Lakes would be as successful as it is without UniSA there, and given the MFP proposals it made sense to have a uni campus there that does a lot of engineering and IT stuff.

SBD
Legendary Member!

#979 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am
By the same token it's unlikely Mawson Lakes would be as successful as it is without UniSA there, and given the MFP proposals it made sense to have a uni campus there that does a lot of engineering and IT stuff.
The Levels Campus (now called Mawson Lakes) of the South Australian Institute of Technology (which merged with CAEs to become UniSA) predates the MFP by 20 years.

Nort
Legendary Member!

#980 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Nort wrote:
The Levels Campus (now called Mawson Lakes) of the South Australian Institute of Technology (which merged with CAEs to become UniSA) predates the MFP by 20 years.
Yeah, but I'm sure the Mawson Lakes developments influenced how much that campus was chosen to grow.

SBD
Legendary Member!

#981 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Nort wrote:
Yeah, but I'm sure the Mawson Lakes developments influenced how much that campus was chosen to grow.
Quite possibly they did, and the presence of the University has probably influenced the development of Mawson Lakes - both the social hub and the high-tech employment precinct.