[U/C] North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 398 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4006 Post by rev » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:34 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:44 am
I agree with your last sentence. They should get on with it.

We get photos of Koutsantonis standing with his arms crossed in front of his favourite building. Labor said it would be built in 4 years, but if that could have been the case, the planning would have started. We'd have their members crowing about knowing the best way to do it and Lib should get on at doing it ("show some leadership and do it the way we say"), and Liberal would have access to all the plans in DPTI. My interpretation is that Labor said it would be done when the audience was potential users, and did nothing about it if the audience might include people who would be displaced or inconvenienced by roadworks during the construction.

Libs are also upgrading a bunch of other intersections, including on both Cross and Portrush Roads.
Superway, T2T, Darlington, Southern Expwy duplicated, Northern Connector, planning for Pym to Regency..plus a whole range lf other roads and intersections upgraded.
Labor did plenty, all be it slowly.
To imply now that Tom doesnt want a motorway through his electorate when its his constituents that will be affected by being stuck in the extreme congestion that will occur with a motorway on either end, is crazy.

The Liberals did nothing but complain as opposition. What are they going to do now as government. So far theyve allowed Pym to Regency to proceed without delays. Theyre talking about T2T to Darlington, floating the idea of tunnels, because even they know the alternative is to demolish properties including heritage listed buildings.

They did occasionally complain about congestion. So its taken them too long IMO as government to address some of that with the intersection upgrades theyve announced. Too long and too little.

So its up to South Australians. Do you want to spend inexcess of 5-6 billion on a motorway featuring tunnels that they estimate will take a decade to complete at least, or do you want to continue with a T2T style motorway and have heritage listed properties demolished.

The options have been put before you.
Labor isnt kicking and screaming because they dont know what the majority want either.
Theyre both gaudging public opinion.

There was a strong response to the Advertiser running a scare campaign to knock down Thebby (a dilapidated shit hole), but many more arr in favor of just getting the corridor finished.

My opinion, theyll build a trench for most of it, and a couple short tunnels in some areas where its too sensitive to demolish heritage listed buildings..like Thebby where the opposite side is a school.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1099
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 353 times
Been thanked: 83 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4007 Post by SBD » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:08 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:34 pm
...

My opinion, theyll build a trench for most of it, and a couple short tunnels in some areas where its too sensitive to demolish heritage listed buildings..like Thebby where the opposite side is a school.
That was the plan for the middle bit, with Superway-style past Castle Plaza in the original vision for a ten-year build. Neither side of politics seems to be strongly supporting either that timeline or that plan any more. It seemed like a good vision if there aren't any unforseen engineering issues as the plan is being developed further.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 398 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4008 Post by rev » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:11 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:08 pm
rev wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:34 pm
...

My opinion, theyll build a trench for most of it, and a couple short tunnels in some areas where its too sensitive to demolish heritage listed buildings..like Thebby where the opposite side is a school.
That was the plan for the middle bit, with Superway-style past Castle Plaza in the original vision for a ten-year build. Neither side of politics seems to be strongly supporting either that timeline or that plan any more. It seemed like a good vision if there aren't any unforseen engineering issues as the plan is being developed further.
I don't think either side is supporting anything in particular, they are just waiting to gauge public opinion and will then support a solution that has the least public resistance.

If the government doesn't decide on something before the next state election, expect Labor to take the NS corridor, trams/PT, as issues to the next state election, highlighting their record of & plans for infrastructure investment.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 46 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4009 Post by how good is he » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:38 pm

There are only about 6 buildings left to demolish from Pym St to Regency Rd including 2 sets of shops so all the demo should be finished soon. There are signs saying night works commence 26 August so hopefully they are getting straight into it.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 398 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4010 Post by rev » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:50 am

how good is he wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:38 pm
There are only about 6 buildings left to demolish from Pym St to Regency Rd including 2 sets of shops so all the demo should be finished soon. There are signs saying night works commence 26 August so hopefully they are getting straight into it.
There was night works last night. Not sure what it was for, but I can't imagine it would have been for anything other then the P2R work.
There's also some demolition work happening on the eastern side of Regency Road, across from Coopers.

Bacon
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:17 pm
Been thanked: 11 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4011 Post by Bacon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:16 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:38 pm
There are only about 6 buildings left to demolish from Pym St to Regency Rd including 2 sets of shops so all the demo should be finished soon. There are signs saying night works commence 26 August so hopefully they are getting straight into it.
Service Relocations will be occuring over the next couple of months

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 398 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4012 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Bacon wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:16 pm
how good is he wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:38 pm
There are only about 6 buildings left to demolish from Pym St to Regency Rd including 2 sets of shops so all the demo should be finished soon. There are signs saying night works commence 26 August so hopefully they are getting straight into it.
Service Relocations will be occuring over the next couple of months
In addition, some tree removal has occurred alongside the southern end of the Motorway in the Regency TAFE carpark.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 67 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4013 Post by ml69 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Sorry I’m not up with the latest news on Regency to Pym, but is this section now fully-funded in the forward budget estimates? Ie proper site works will start after demo work and service relocations?

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 771 times
Been thanked: 1391 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4014 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:56 pm

ml69 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 pm
Sorry I’m not up with the latest news on Regency to Pym, but is this section now fully-funded in the forward budget estimates? Ie proper site works will start after demo work and service relocations?
Yep, fully funded now, with the project due for completion in 2022.

ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 67 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4015 Post by ml69 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:56 pm
ml69 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 pm
Sorry I’m not up with the latest news on Regency to Pym, but is this section now fully-funded in the forward budget estimates? Ie proper site works will start after demo work and service relocations?
Yep, fully funded now, with the project due for completion in 2022.
Thanks. Good news that the N-S Motorway build is still continuing. That gives time for feasibility design then detailed design to continue for the Torrens to Darlington section, so that once Regency to Pym is complete, we can move onto the next section.

Pretty amazing to think that by 2022, 67km of the 78km of N-S Motorway will have been completed. Still reckon we are looking at a 2030 full completion date.

Leigh744
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:27 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4016 Post by Leigh744 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:13 pm

Any info on what the road plates are for on both the north and southbound far left lanes at the northern end? They've been there for nearly 2 months reducing the speed limit to 60km/h

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 46 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4017 Post by how good is he » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:04 am

My only guess is they could be inspection points and possibly to access services ie drains & accessing blocked stormwater pipes?

ralmin
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:38 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 5 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4018 Post by ralmin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:29 am

Perhaps they are the pumping stations mentioned in the recent email from the T2T Alliance: “Pit lids for two of the pumping station pits in the South Road lowered motorway will also be replaced.”
T2T Alliance is advising of upcoming night and weekend works to install anti-throw screen columns and panels and replace service pit lids. These works are part of the State Government’s commitment to improving safety along the transport network.
To minimise disturbance to peak hour traffic, and weather permitting, these works will be undertaken for approximately three weeks starting Monday 26 August 2019 at the following times:
weeknights between 7pm and 5am
day and nights over two consecutive weekends between:
7pm Friday 6 September and 5am Monday 9 September and
7pm Friday 13 September and 5am Monday 16 September.
Anti-throw screens will be installed on the Grange Road, Port Road, Hawker Street and Torrens Road bridges, as well as the Outer Harbor rail bridge. Pit lids for two of the pumping station pits in the South Road lowered motorway will also be replaced.

All works are expected to be completed by 5am Monday 16 September, weather permitting.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 398 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4019 Post by rev » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:57 pm

ml69 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:07 pm
Norman wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:56 pm
ml69 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 pm
Sorry I’m not up with the latest news on Regency to Pym, but is this section now fully-funded in the forward budget estimates? Ie proper site works will start after demo work and service relocations?
Yep, fully funded now, with the project due for completion in 2022.
Thanks. Good news that the N-S Motorway build is still continuing. That gives time for feasibility design then detailed design to continue for the Torrens to Darlington section, so that once Regency to Pym is complete, we can move onto the next section.

Pretty amazing to think that by 2022, 67km of the 78km of N-S Motorway will have been completed. Still reckon we are looking at a 2030 full completion date.
They shouldn't wait for R2P to be finished before starting the next sections, they should start ASAP.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1099
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 353 times
Been thanked: 83 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4020 Post by SBD » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:29 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:57 pm
ml69 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:07 pm
Norman wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Yep, fully funded now, with the project due for completion in 2022.
Thanks. Good news that the N-S Motorway build is still continuing. That gives time for feasibility design then detailed design to continue for the Torrens to Darlington section, so that once Regency to Pym is complete, we can move onto the next section.

Pretty amazing to think that by 2022, 67km of the 78km of N-S Motorway will have been completed. Still reckon we are looking at a 2030 full completion date.
They shouldn't wait for R2P to be finished before starting the next sections, they should start ASAP.
I agree.

There has been no public announcement of any firm plans for crossing the Torrens, or sections from there to Gallipoli Underpass, Emerson Crossing, Castle Plaza to join with the Darlington work. Labor had a hand-wavy intent in 2015 that showed which bits would be at what levels, and where they might join the next bits, with an indicative order of construction to complete in 10 years. It then proceeded to build some bits in a different order, but broadly in line with the plan, leaving the hard bits for later. No further detail has ever been public from either ALP or DPTI about how it would have been done near that timeframe. We elected Liberal who also promised to complete it, but with the added possibility of checking the feasibility of a deeper tunnel for the whole length. That study has not been completed and reported yet. There are now added "concerns" about loss of heritage, disruption to commuters from western suburbs during construction, and that if they do a good job it will increase heavy traffic on Cross Road. None of these should be insurmountable. You can't assess the cost of the new option without having similar-quality costings for the older planned options, so we have to wait.

The contract to excavate under Henley Beach Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive could have been released so the earthmoving equipment could move there as it finishes shifting dirt around the Northern Connector and Darlington areas. I imagine there are a lot of subsurface services that will need to be dug around or under in that process.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests